Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pinterest Hits and Misses

Wow. It's Thursday. Which means I skipped lots of days! What have I been doing? Not much. That's what. It's just been so cold and rainy, that it's hard to find motivation. Today, I'm going to boogy up a few Pinterest Hits and Misses.


Let's face it, we will never cook, wear, go to, actually install or even read half the things we pin. Pinterest allows us to live in a world where time, money and space run infinite. I'm happy to say I've done some of my pins.... Some equals maybe 18%. It's a darn good thing I'm a 'good enough' kind of girl!

I just have to hop on over to Pinterest and review the things I have tried. (This just took me 12 minutes.)


I've seen that you can use vinegar and baking soda as a natural drain cleaner. 


It works! Not only does it fizz up and unclog things stuck in your drains (I've used for both kitchen and bathroom) but the two ingredients are natural deodorizers. This is a Win Pin with an added bonus. 


Here's one I did yesterday from So Not Betty: Cheap Homemade Stovetop Cleaner


I mixed the stuff up: 
(Equal parts of salt, baking soda and water. I used an ice cream scoop as a measuring unit.) 


Disregard the butter in the picture. It is not an ingredient in this. That is just where my butter dish goes.
And this is what my stovetop looked like:


Obviously, I char the crap out of my stove and don't care so much that it rests like this. 
 
The mixture only did about this well:


I'm pretty sure So Not Betty has a newer stove and doesn't let hers stay incrusted as I do. Sooooo... I decided to use a little kapow power and replaced the water with vinegar. 


Vinegar fizzes when mixed with baking soda, making energy to help break down the solids. Or something like that. I sucked at Science.
After using my recipe and a little elbow grease, these were my results: 


Almost perfect! But not quite. So then I got really tough: 


Actually pretty gentle but with a tough looking tool- the blade from my carpenter knife. I held it at a 45 degree angle and gently scraped the few remainng pieces of crust. Shiny and done! 

I'm going to rate this as a Moderate Fail because my way is better. 


Cup Control

We go through lots of dishes in a day. Lots. Throughout the day, the kids will take a cups out of the cupboard or dish rack for one tiny drink and put it in the dirties- More often than not, they take from the dish rack because after doing all those dishes, I hardly ever have to put them away before they're used again. So I saw this from Bee in our Bonnet:


And though it was great. This is my version....


Fancy, right? Wood Shims with their names drawn in marker?
Yeah.... It's a good thing I didn't emboss coasters and affix them to a cute tray. This lasted one measily day. BUT for that one day? It was glorious. SO many less dishes to wash!!! 
So this is not a Pinterest Fail, this is a Sexton Fail. 

You can't tell this by reading, but I'm taking a super long time finding things I've actually done....

Recipes! 

First of all, this is me:
 

Because when I tried this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole from Organize and Decorate Everything




and read her directions: 
Coat 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Spread 2 cups cooked rice in bottom of baking dish.
Arrange 3 cups cooked chicken pieces over top of rice.
Layer 6 slices of Swiss cheese on top of chicken.
Then layer 10 slices of cut-up ham on top of the Swiss cheese.
Mix 2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup sour cream together.
Spread on top of ham.
Crush 10 saltine crackers then add 1/2 teaspoon paprika1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, and 1/2 teaspoon parsleyand mix together.
Sprinkle on top of soup mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
 
I ended up with these notes and modifications: 
Try#1 Notes-Used hashbrown potatoes and was too breakfasty. Baked the chicken, them cut it up. Didn't care for the sour cream taste.Chicken was bland. Next time, I'll try frying the chicken and the ham a while before adding. crescent roll crust. cream cheese instead of sour scream to add more cheesy texture. And Sarah? LESS IS MORE WHEN SEASONING with garlic. Oh yeah, and add some melted butter to the cracker crumbs or toast the top under the broiler

So pretty much I changed a lot of it and ended up with not so great. 
I'm not a big recipe person, by the way. I typically make the smae things over and over and eyeball everything. That's the way cooking should be! Unless you want new things to actually turn out. You should follow the directions perfectly and THEN figure out what you like and what you don't.That was a Sarah Fail


Sopaopilla Cheescake from My Yellow Umbrella


It looks absolutely devine. Like if a mini donut and cheese danish got married. My thoughts? Eh. It tasted a lot like a souped up crescent roll.  


This: 


Do this! It is soooo helpful. But take a Sarah Hint: Slap a level on that biotch prior to drilling. 
WIN! 

Learned this little thing from Pinterest: 


Store you folded sheets inside their accompanying pillow cases. It's smart and makes my linnens look so much more organized and put together. Not to mention, you don't disrupt your piles pulling coordinated sheets from three different places. 
Win some more!
 
Well, thanks for checking out my Pinterest Hits and Misses! I'll try to be more on the ball with my postings! If you want some really funny posts about messed up pins, check out
 
 
or
 


No comments:

Post a Comment