Friday, April 12, 2013

Glimpes of My House

I feel bad for missing out on blogging yesterday and I fully intend on getting things done this weekend so I probably wont blog Saturday or Sunday, sooooo..... I'm going to give you some glimpses of decorating I've done around my house.

 
This is my big, wide living room wall. My sister helped me initially piece it out one Sunday as our whole family looked on. Snore for them, fun for us. Once it was up, it didn't look quite right, so lots of hours and text pictures to my sister with additions, subtractions and rearranging, I finalized it and it turned out pretty darn good! Although, if you look to the way bottom left, you can see that my daughter, Ella, replaced what was a blank white frame with a card her cousin, Holly, made for her. Ella really thinks she call rearrange and redecorate whenever she wants.... I just keep digging in her drawers for what I'm missing and replacing what she's taken down.
 
 
Here's another glimpse of the cupboard arrangement I designed and stained. I still have to add some hardware and of course the toe kicks, but  I'm happy with my almost finished product!

 
 
Another piece of my kitchen- I got the basket from a store called Alco in Spring Valley. I had to find something to keep our bread away from the dogs yet accessible to the kids because heaven forbid the kids put the bread in a cupboard... The silverware container is a bread crock from Pampered Chef-it's also easier for the kids to take silverware off the counter because heaven forbid they open a drawer for a fork. The Kitchen sign is form Kohl's and the coffee sign is a part of a set I had laying around. I'll probably replace it with something else when I find that "just right" thing. I also recently added the under cabinet lights. I have to custom cut an outlet cover still- the outlet was installed prior to us having a counter there and it's just a titch too low for the counter backsplash. It's all part of the whole build a house from scratch learning process.  
 
 
I made these!!! Well, I bought the letters from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, but I painted and distressed them myself! I love how they turned out! Men, however, make fun of my EAT sign. They just don't get it.....
 
 
 
Here's an area I'm still working on, but it's kinda sorta cute for now. The cupboard at the bottom of the pic was actually one I took off one of the walls in my kitchen prior to remodel. It fit my entry wall almost perfectly and hide the kids' snowmobile/ four wheel helmets perfectly. I got the baskets at Target on clearance and the three fit the width of the cupboard like they were made for each other. I'm still working on what to hang above the hooked mirror.


This is another work in progress wall. I think I'll probably put 8 foot high beadboard on the walls in these last two pictures  and paint the beadboard a soft matte black or a cream color (haven't decided yet) and top it off with a pretty molding. Since we don't have an actual coat closet by our front door, I think that would separate it as well as set it off from the rest of the house. I obviously have a few places to fill in with decoration for now until I decide a plan of action, but I'm waiting for that right thrift store find. Perhaps oversized skeleton keys or a wire schoolhouse basket..... 
 
Last peek at my house:

 
I was at Savers one day and saw this "window" but it had ugly paintings of herbs. I saw a better idea. I got me some chalkboard paint and said, "Away with the herbs!" (I didn't really say that, but I thought it.) The top To-Do piece was actually from another chalkboard I had once upon a time. You can't really see it, but also once upon a time, I found these two rusty long baskets, maybe 20 inches long and only four inches deep. I have no idea what they may have been used for back in the day, but I hung it below this board and we put all kinds of things in there- gloves, mail, library books, etc. Right now, I'm using it to display a book that my friends, Gina and Chelsey, had made for us for Christmas. 
 
Perhaps I'll have the ambition to do some fancy things with my bathroom this weekend! I'll let you know on Monday if that happens :)

3 comments:

  1. OK, me again. Love your house pics! Have to comment on the "EAT" sign. I have one above my stove, and my husband hates it. It is a vinyl wall cling that says "eat" with a fork under it. Hubs has asked me not to hang any more "words" in the house because he KNOWS he eats in the kitchen, and he doesn't need HOME above the front door to know he's home. Men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally have to get a temporary PEE sign to hang above your toilet. Do it and record it so I can post it :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, too funny! I will totally do that!

    ReplyDelete