Monday, March 11, 2013

Writing II

This is where I left off yesterday:
Tomorrow (That's now today.)  I will discuss Nicolas Sparks-esque romances, bundle all the other genres of fiction in which I don't read so probably couldn't write, Tina and Mindy type books and non-fiction.

There are always Nicolas Sparks type books... Could I write a love story that has a reader so emotionally invested they actually cry while reading the character's tragic or uplifting plight? Probably not. I think I'm a little too sarcastic by nature. I think I've read two of Spark's books. The Notebook (Loved it and cried through the last 60 pages.) and A Walk to Remember (Didn't love it so much.) I guess I choose reading as a refuge, not something that pulls me into a world of love and loss. You could say that I could draw off of my own tragic love story that is still being played out in my life, but I don't think I'm emotionally mature enough to put that all out onto a platter for everyone to read right now. My emotional wall is a well laid set of thick bricks without mortar as is stands and writing too much just might make it tumble into a pile of emotional wreckage.

This would be true for writing a work of nonfiction either as an autobiographical story or one of inspiration at this time in my life. I could tell you "how it really feels" as I feel like I sometimes hold back while writing updates on Paul's Carepage. Somethings are just too intimate or to divulge. If I were to write a book of this genre, it would totally and completely read like a copy and paste of Tina and Mindy's books only with my own anecdotes. Is there a funny way to write about teen pregnancy, mommy and daddyhood and cancer? I'd like to think so. Truth is, Paul and I have created more laughing moments and inappropriateness out of our lives together than the somber realism we may be expected to exhibit. If you hear laughter bounding through the cancer ward, it's probably me. Laughing at my husband. It's unfortunate I can remember things like the girl who went to our school for two months in fifth grade but not the conversation I had about a piece of mail I received last week. This may hinder my ability to write a work of nonfiction.
As far as other types of books such as horror, suspense, legal thrillers.... I don't read them, nor do I possess the thought process to write you a long and tangled web of lies, deceit and whodunit. It's just not how my mind works and simply, not how I roll. If there are other genres out there, I'm completely oblivious to them. I guess Amazon doesn't even bother to suggest any other kinds of books. They magically know me better than that.

At some point I am going to do a Part III to this idealization that I'm going to author something someday. Like, there are parts to the writing process in which I will have to revisit English class and think about plot points and character arcs and antagonists (See? Right there, I had to actually Google 'What is the bad person in a story called?' to come up with the word antagonist.) Already, my eyes are glazing over and my mind is shutting down.... Additionally, there's getting published and so, so much more I have no idea how to proceed with the whole shebang. I saw a sitcom the other day where a woman sold her blog rights to Hollywood for millions of dollars. The fictional blog was named "Smart girls don't suck." I would totally read that. I would totally go for just being discovered one day and handing the whole thing over for gobs of money.

Now that I'm back to reality, I suppose I should come to the realization that things cannot be that easy and the dishes need to be done. Fantasy is so much easier. And dryer. I'm kind of sloppy when I do dishes.

Check back in tomorrow for details on my GIVEAWAY! Yes, I'll be giving away PRIZES!

1 comment:

  1. I have always said/thought that the way you have with words and sayings you would make a great writer...i say keep up the good work and you never know Your blogs could just be on it's way to Hollywood....never lose sight

    ReplyDelete