Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cheating on Lent

Thank God for forgiveness. Literally. 
I, Sarah Sexton, have cheated on Lent.
I'm going to have to plead extremely special circumstances of why I did so and I promise, I was a good (well, good-ish) girl while I cheated.
The story goes as follows- I received a text message yesterday from my sister with a screen shot of a Facebook post. It's a status from my sister-in-law, Carmen, stating that her son was missing from a snowmobile ride while they are all on vacation in the mountains of Wyoming. While in said mountains, they have no Internet service or phone reception, aside from the lodge's computer and landline phone. (Insert panic here) While we're all back here in Minnesota, we have no idea which son is even missing or what the circumstances are. Our best line of communication comes down to Facebook.  So I asked my husband, "Do you think I should get on Facebook and see what I can find out?" And my Facebook-hater husband says, "Well, yeah!" So I logged on and since my sister told me to expect a message from Carmen, I looked through my messages.  Unable to find one from Carmen, I wrote a wallpost asking her to call Paul so we could get an update.  Paul had failed in his attempt to reach her by calling the lodge. (Really? There's an emergency here, Desk Lady Answering the Phone, and you're telling us we need a room number to connect?!?!?) Finally, after what feels like an eternity, but is only 15 minutes since initial text message, Carmen calls Paul to update that is was her oldest missing and he had went off to find another missing snowmobiler and neither had come back. This whole time in between prayers and deals with God, I stayed on the wallpost page answering questions from other friends seeing the post form myself to Carmen. And a few people popped up on my instant messenger to whom I answered while waiting for news... And I couldn't very well NOT answer people's questions and thank them for their concern, right? And I may have checked my friend requests... But, I was very nervous and needed something to occupy my fingers...And I didn't respond to the friend requests. And I didn't actually click on any of the posts under my notification bubble.... I stuck to my wall post. And I do hope you have figured out that everything has turned out okay in Wyoming since I'm now rambling about Facebook and not telling what could have been a very sad situation for us all. Jacob, along with the other snowmobiler, were found. The four hours they were gone and the couple hours we knew about ended well with the two having gotten stuck on a ridge on the other side of the mountain but weren't hurt or affected by the elements. (Thank you, God, for hearing our prayers.)
So back to me. It always comes back to me since I am able to be completely subjective in my musings. I did log off as soon as I reported what happened and told everyone I'd be back on Easter. I kinda, sorta patted myself on the back for only cheating a little and resisting temptation of delving into my Facebook further than I did. It gets me to thinking if I have cheated in other ways. Like this blog for instance. Am I finding a new way to communicate with the world that negates my reasoning to give up Facebook for Lent? Not really. Okay, maybe. I'm not looking to social media as a constant pastime, but also don't find myself praying as much as I did in those first few days. Could I give Facebook forever? I'd like to think not. This blog takes up time from my day that I could be praying. But it doesn't take up as much time because there aren't impending comments to read and respond to as Facebook has. And I'm not spending as much time checking my numbers of readers as I did when I first got this blog. Then there's the fact that I had to create a Google+ account to make this blog. It is my understanding that Google+ is some kind of pseudo Facebook? In fear of further cheating on Lent, I have not explored it too much and I don't think I need to manage two social media sites when I can't think of a single person who would have Google+ and not Facebook anyway....
I was bored today and counted down the remaining days until I can reenter the virtual world that I miss so much. I have NOT been on Facebook less days than I have left to go. Sigh... I mean, PRAY! Thank you God for sending your only son to live and die for us as we continue to try to be good Christians but accidently cheat on our promises we have made. Thank you for offering your forgiveness in all facets in our lives from our small indiscretions to sins we may knowingly commit. God is Good! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment