Monday, March 4, 2013

Photographing Life

When it comes to taking pictures, I don't wait for the important life events such as holidays, birthdays or parties. When I'm around, I often hear, "Don't be doing that in front of Sarah, she'll have it on Facebook within 15 minutes."
'Tis true. If it's of any interest to my eight hundred closest friends, interesting to myself or so funny the world needs to see, yes, it's going on Facebook. Well, up until two and a half weeks ago. Now I just take the pictures and share them with... my iCloud... *sigh*
Really, I don't only take pictures to embarrass or evoke a laugh, I take pictures for the memories. If I'm sitting in my recliner and the dog looks cute sleeping on the loveseat- snap. The light is hitting one of the kids' faces just so-click. The snow is make all the trees into a winter wonderland- insert shutter sound of your own choosing. These pictures will never do the justice that my own eyes view. And these are also the moments I send up a prayer and thank God that I'm experiencing these picture worthy moments.
So, what will I ever do with all these pictures? I'm not sure. Post them on Facebook when the day comes to get back to it. I do know for sure that someday they will be important to people. Coming up on five years after my best friend, Elise's, passing, I wish today's technology would have been more accessible and more pictures were taken to mark our time on this Earth together. The memories of my friend will forever stay picture perfect in my head.
I think this was the turning point in which I decided pictures were vital to my existence. Okay, not vital, but they make me happy sometimes despite the grumbling of those around me. I get the hands in front of the face, middle fingers, random children picked up and shoved into view... But I sneak in the shots anyway. You'd think people would be a little more lax since I rarely ask them to actually pose.
At the end of the day, who knows what will come of the random daily chronicles that describe my life without words. I just hope the subjects of my past time find the memories captured as endearing as I.

No comments:

Post a Comment