Thursday, May 2, 2013

Stuff I know...

Day 2, Thursday: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at. Take any approach you’d like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)

Stuff I know...


I know how to take care of a turtle. I can't remember how my children acquired Wally, but they got a painted turtle when he was the size of a quarter and he grew to  have a shell span of about 6 inches in the two years we had him.

Wally, the Turtle
 
I did a really good job of keeping that turtle alive! Until the day I was cleaning his cage and the dogs ate him. Yes, I said ate :( So maybe we should scratch this whole subject.... Keeping dogs away from turtles is a vital part of their livelihood.... Other than that, if you ever find yourself a proud owner of a pet turtle, talk to me. I can teach you things.
 
 
 
I know how to fold a fitted sheet well. How do I know that? My very first job was in the laundry department at a nursing home.... Also? I only worked weekends and often went out the nights prior, so I know I have a rock solid stomach that can handle just.... about.... anything......
 
 
I'm good at garage saling. I used to take Paul's mom, who was wheelchair bound post stroke plus Joey and Ella when they were both less than three years old. In less than 5 hours, we could hit two different parts of town, load and unload the wheelchair and the kids in carseats, fill up the van with goodies, spend less than $50 and have lunch. We were the power team of misfit garage salers.
 
We're not exactly garage saling here, but this is my power team. And the four of us were out hitting the sales the day after this picture was taken.
 
 
I know I can make people laugh.
 

 This is an example of a text message between myself and my friend Anne, formally known as Annie-Banannie, now Travis VanFartstinkle. Only because she entered me into her phone as Rusty McFuzzlebutt.
 
 
And in turn, I sent her this:

 
My washer did not, as it turns out, want a hooker. It was broken. I called for service instead of calling a call service. Anne's dryer remains temperamental to this day.




I know there is always, alwAYS, ALWAYS something to be thankful for. Even when Paul has been stuck in the hospital for over a week and we were told he could go home two days ago, I have been able to find positives. I just think finding positive things in bad situations is a key to getting through life.


I know sometimes you have to be someone else's light. I try really hard to give a random compliment or share a memory or even give a little pep talk to a different person everyday. Sometimes turning someone's outlook around maybe for a little bit means a lot.

I know here are too may negative people in this world.

I know it takes all kinds to make this world go 'round. That person who treated you as if you were scum between their toes? Well, I hope it reminds you to be nicer to the person you think you're better than. That weird guy who talks to you in the grocery store line or laughs at things that are random or completely dumb? Well, they're probably generally happier than you. Think about it, the simpler an person thinks, the less complicated their life probably is....

I hope I'm good at encouraging people to look towards God in times of trouble. His word calms me and strengthens me. We are His glorious creation, so be grateful for the big and little things He has given us. Ultimately, though we may not achieve or have what we think we should in this life, He will provide in our everlasting life. Until that fateful day, live this day with Godliness and happiness!


3 comments:

  1. Travis FartstinkleMay 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

    My dryer is not temperamental. It's a total piece of shit. The end. Now the timer stopped working. I'm going to push it off a cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheaper than buying a wood chipper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love you ... you make me smile, chuckle, and belly laugh oh so many times! I'm so thankful for you!!! Muah!

    ReplyDelete