Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Lot in Life

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your “lot in life” and how you’re working to overcome it

I was diagnosed with Type I or Juvenile Diabetes at age 12. I've been taking insulin shots 2-4 times a day since. I've gone through my adolescence, young adult and pregnancies dealing with changing blood sugars and insulin amounts. With each pregnancy, I found it harder to manage and more dangerous for myself and my babies. I remember on my wedding day, not only was it crazy hot outside, but my blood sugar was really high and it made it hard to completely enjoy myself.

For the most part, my diabetes is controlled. There is a test called the A1C that essentially give you a picture of how your blood sugars have done over the past few months and mine is typically on the higher side of normal (I'm not sure why they call "7" normal if your doctor yells at you for being "7".) On a daily basis, I can go through the day and do activities and eat like everyone else without dipping too low or astronomically high.

I guess I deal with it all the way I always have; the best I can. If well I'm fifty or sixty and I start feeling the detrimental side effects of my long standing diabetes, so be it. All I can do it continue to live life and manage my diabetes as best I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment