Monday, February 25, 2013

Living a Redneck Life

I'll admit it. I'm probably a Redneck. I wouldn't say I'm a down home redneck or backwoods redneck, BUT a redneck regardless.
Remember when Jeff Foxworthy was the premier comedian of the decade? Yeah well, there were way too many instances that could easily be related to my little corner of the world called Pleasant Grove. People have cars in their yards. (I said yards, not driveways.) Running ones, broken ones, ones without tires, partial ones, ones with bullet holes...
People in my corner of the world own pets. Lots of them. Mostly of the barking persuasion. Big barking ones, yipping ones, coon hunting ones, little itty bitty tea cup sized ones.
People own guns. Lots of them. We collect them because we can, buy them from one another when its purpose has been served and we shoot all kinds of things.
We own toys. Not Matchbox cars and Barbie dolls, but snowmobiles, dirt bikes, four wheelers, boats, golf carts, Harleys, campers. There is even a drivable picnic table in my back yard.  It was a redneck weekend project of epic proportions. Don't even get me started on the massive LP tank turned cookers/smokers that have been birthed in this place.
We hunt. We fish.
The best stories are ones when friends and family join together to drink and be merry. Wether it be in someone's shop while they're  working on a vehicle, someone's house while they're renovating, a yard for in celebration of a birthday or life event or a garage just to commune after the work day, there's usually a story. Do you know I have actually witnessed a physical fight over Fords vs Chevys? I am not shxtting you. It happened.  For a few years, family and neighbors put together "Pleasant Grove Days." This was not a celebration that was set forth in front of town hall or had any kind of officiality. Someone put a beer banner up in a yard and it just happened. We had a parade and everything.
All my memories of these times and the people who have helped make them, I hold dear. Of course they scream, in big neon letters possibly hung on some deer antlers, "R-E-D-N-E-C-K"
but it's my redneck life and I'm lovin' it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment