Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Blog vs Blog

I'm enjoying this writing/blogging thing. Question is, is anyone enjoying the reading part of it? Well, guessing from my vastly dwindling page visits, I'm not sure.... But I'm going to continue on regardless.
I've done some writing/pseudo-blogging in the past.  Nothing published or scholarly, by no means. It's actually been my husband's Carepage as I've chronicled most of his, along with our family's, journey since his diagnosis of cancer in 2010. That has a good following. In fact, as the page's administrator, I'm privy to the people who follow my postings, their email addresses (which has come in handy when I want to extend a personal thank you,) when the last time they visited the page and how many total times they have logged in. I love that feature! It not only gives me something to do  during long clinic and hospital visits, but it feeds some kind of deeply hidden vouyeristic feeling I get when I'm the only one that can see these details.
Now, this blog gives me information on those viewing it. But it isn't nearly as fascinating. As a matter of fact, it's random and boring and probably only exiting to... I'm just not sure who... Seriously? I'm don't know the names of those who read this. BUT, I am told how many people read each post in a day and collectively. I am told what country readers are from. I am told how many times I check my own blog(that's embarrassingly high), I am told how readers connect to my blog wether it be direct web address or more than likely through a Facebook link, lastly, I am told what operating system and device people use when they read the blog. For reals? Why would I or anyone else care if their blog is read on an iPod, droid phone or PC???? Quite frankly, it's creepier to have that information collected about a reader than me seeing how often certain people check in with the Carepage.
Why, Google? (Google is the blog host.) Why do you collect this obscure (at least to me)  information? Creeper computer geeks. That's my best guess.
Oh, and just in case you caught me on the readers from Facebook links, I am not the one posting the links as I can proudly (albeit, sadly) say, "My name is Sarah. I am a Facebook-holic and it has been 14 days since I've last been on Facebook."
At the end of the day, I've got a lot to say and I like the writing part of blogging. I don't like the absence of comments and flow of conversation that I am accustomed to while on Facebook. Perhaps once Easter is here, I can get the best of all worlds-Facebook, blogging and the continued closeness to my faith that I've been able to achieve while NOT on Facebook. I hope I'll remember to Facebook a little less and pray a lot more once I'm back to the world of status updates and newsfeeds!

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog Sarah! And definitely miss you on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing ability is just amazing, i love reading each of your posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ladies! I wonder how I'd do at fiction.....

    ReplyDelete