Sunday, February 24, 2013

Baptism

Today our oldest son, Justin, became a Godfather to our great-nephew, Brock. I can still remember the day Justin was baptized, looking so tiny and dapper in his little white baptismal outfit. Now he's outgrown both Paul and I, standing at a hulking 6 foot with size 16 shoes. And obviously of fine upstanding character since he was chosen as an important figure in Brock's life. I am so proud that our children, not just Justin, are seen as kind and considerate people. Friends, family, neighbors and teachers have taken the time to compliment the virtues that my children exude in their everyday lives.  There are no finer compliments, especially when we don't always feel like our parenting skills are as good as they could be.
I bet you're wondering how a 14 year old is supposed to impact such a young one into a spiritual life... Well, he won't always be 14. This is something I had to remind myself of. If Justin continues to be the compassionate person he is, when Brock is to the age when he notices how a person should treat others, I hope he looks to his cousin Justin.
Justin also wanted to know what his being Godfather meant other than getting the little tyke gifts at Christmas and his birthday. I told him first of all, your biggest responsibility, along with the rest of the church congregation, is to make sure that Brock knows he is a child of God. Or as Justin had to clarify with Brock's dad during the sermon,  since God is our shepherd,  we are in fact, His sheep. I guess by this experience, we have not only started on Brock's spiritual cornerstone, we added a few bricks to Justin's own foundation.
Then Justin had to commercialize it all by asking if he got a long haired cat to stroke as he refutes propositions from an office chair...
Congratulations and Blessings to Kayla, Mike and Brock, along with Amy, Justin, and our families for this day!

1 comment: