Friday, February 22, 2013

Boy Jobs

So, I have a "boy" job. I literally show up at a job site and people stare, laugh or question my ability to do the work. My official title is Owner of Pit Stop Portable Outhouses. Call them crappers, shxtters, ports-potties, biffies, what have you. There are a million names. The official industry term is portable restrooms. Not to toot my own horn, but I take care of almost every aspect of the business. I take the reservations, I drive the truck, deliver, pump the tanks, clean the units and every dirty detail that 'clean' entails. 
I'm not sure if my job description is truly what my point of this post is. Although, someday I may devote a post to my not-so-shining moments in the portable sanitation industry. 
I find that I'm faced with a bit of gender inequality even with those who know and love me :) When I show up to make a delivery, big burly men wielding beer cans ask me if I need help or just start shoving on the sides if the outhouse, effectively ruining the mechanics in which I wrangle them to their spot. When I have a bigger event and enlist help from family or neighbors, customers automatically approach the male I've hired and address them. (It really gets my brother-in-law when I insist on driving and he's left to the copilot position.) With that being said, I have to admit, I'm not Wonder Woman, I can't do it all even if I can in my own mind. I would not be able to back up a trailer to save my life. And, if I have to be completely honest, my heart soars when my boy help loads up the big handicap outhouse without me. As much as I've mastered the regular sized units, that handicap is a beast. 
This whole subject gets me thinking of girls who do jobs typically considered to be a man's job. I'm not the only woman in my sanitation certification classes. I seem to be to only one wearing makeup and not wearing camo, but there's other women just the same. So what other jobs are there that you see a girl doing a boy job? My sister in law hangs, tapes, muds, and sands drywall. She does a heck of a job. The lady up the road owns and farms a buttload of acreage. I happen to know four ladies who drive a mean dump truck and a have a really good friend who has been the dispatcher for a large construction corporation for the last few years.  I wish i could think of more off hand, but sadly, I can't. I guess we're a rare breed. 
On another note, there's the "boy" jobs a lot of have to do out of necessity because our husbands just don't do it as fast as we feel it needs to be done. Guaranteed, we begrudgingly attempt the task in the first place. Then, we spend two to three times as long doing it because let's face it, our husbands have more experience with their little toys, I'm mean tools. That's if we're using the correct gadget in the first place. And simply, as a general rule of gender and physicality, we're just not as strong. That fact RIGHT THERE sets me off more than anything while I'm playing the 'man' at home. Example- Our toilet leaks. Because I have birthed 4 children, it happens I have changed a toilet or six in my lifetime. I hate the job, but I can do it. I do a lot, like a seriously lot, of creative and unladylike swearing while doing boy jobs like that. For serious, changing a toilet IS and and should only be a boy job. Toilets are heavy and the floor bolts are a sunuvabitch. See? Just thinking about it makes me spew inappropriate words.  Insert your own list of crappy list of stuff your husband SHOULD do but DOESN'T. (shoveling, checking the oil, windshield wiper replacement, checking the level of the LP gas...)
I guess I should just be thankful and praise God that I'm able bodied enough to perform these tasks, that I have a loving husband that provides so much more in my life than a non leaky toilet and a home in which contains so many blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment